Sunday, December 26, 2010

Investment Lesson - The lesson from the first investment

My first investment was during the IT bubble of late 90s. Little did I know, what a balance sheet, a cash flow statement or "P&L" statement stood for. Was a young man who wanted to be a part of the fast league - a par of the India shining group. That is when I applied for the IPO of a company called Helios and Matheson Info Tech. I track it even today- maybe a hangover or the first love effect.The company made its maiden IPO in Oct 1999 at a price of Rs 50. I picked 100 shares. So in say, Jan 2000, I had invested Rs 5000 in this company. The company issued bonuses 02 times in the ratio of 1:1 each time i.e.  I have 400 shares today at approximately Rs 40 CMP. So the worth of the stock is approx 16K. The dividends announced by the company in the last five years have been 15/15/35/15/15 which totals to approx Rs 3000. So effectively , if I sell it today i.e  after 10 years, my Profits are 14K which translates into a CAGR of approximately 13%. The company CAGR from 2004-2008 grew @revenues 47% and PAT @ 24%. . A 13 % return is good when my PF gives me about 8% (More than 50% as compared to my PPF). Today , the stock is still swinging between 36 - 40. Is it still a value buy- it is indeed, but there are better picks out there


So the lesson is " Slow and Steady wins the race- There is no substitute to patience. The Ben Graham fundamentals still hold good". 

No comments: